At Mercatus, we are passionate about building trust and sustainability in private market investing. We do this by providing investors speed, transparency, and flexibility in managing their private investments. Mercatus has pioneered a modern data management technology platform that digitally transforms how private investors invest and operate to accelerate the return on their investments (deal to divestment). We do so by empowering stakeholders with collaborative Cloud-based analytic technology that integrates the information and processes needed to optimally manage the complete end to end investment lifecycle of diverse private investment portfolios.
The Solutions Engineer is responsible for providing pre-sales support to the sales, customer success, and product teams. The typical sales process involves multiple customer stakeholders across different functions, so it is important that the Solutions Engineer be able to speak with equal credibility to the technical aspects of the product as to the individual business challenges for each persona. This position will organize, plan, direct, and coordinate all aspects of the technical pre-sales engagement, including demos, proofs of concept, security audits, requirements scoping, and proposal creation.
This role offers a unique opportunity for exposure to all core functions of a high-growth SaaS company. The Solutions Engineer will hear firsthand customer / market challenges while also gaining experience with the operations of the product, engineering, and post-contract support teams. This is an execution role that offers multiple opportunities for leadership advancement with company scaling.
- Act as a trusted advisor to the customer and provide “industry expert” best practices using tangible examples from actual clients
- Support Sales Manager during discovery phase of customer buying process. Define the specific problems to solve with tangible examples from customer data.
- Present to partners and clients how our products can help solve their technical and strategic business challenges through in depth product demonstrations or proofs of concept and leading onsite workshops
- Drive customer requirements gathering and proposal generation for new customers. The Solutions Engineer is the technical bridge between all functional groups and their pre-sales customers.
- Lead Request for Proposal (RFP) responses in conjunction with Sales Manager
- Liaison between customers and Customer Success team to communicate relevant feedback and customer requirements to ensure alignment between pre- and post-contract delivery
- Manage internal teams to delivery to clients within buying cycles. Strong collaboration required with Product, Marketing, Development, and Customer Success functions.
The primary objective of this role is to assist in driving new business from prospective customer accounts by reducing the Sales cycle time and increasing closure rates.
- First 12 Months
- Lead 50% of Sales Engineer engagements internally (Demos, POCs)
- % of POCs or Workshops ending in Mercatus win > 50%
- Average time from POC to client decision < 1 month
- Time adjustment of project schedule from proposal to design phase < 4 weeks
- 4+ years of experience as a solutions engineer or consultant to private equity funds or Fortune 500
- Experience in infrastructure investments, private equity diligence, fund mgt, or process consulting
- A passion for delighting customers and creating a valuable and memorable customer experience
- Ability to communicate effectively from CEO to entry-level end user and build rapport with each
- An analytical / business background, experience in private markets preferred
- At least two years of experience as a solutions engineer or consultant in the software industry
- Hands-on Experience with proof of concept development using modern technologies
- Confident in front of customers and audiences, strong presentation skills
- Self-motivated, persistent, and strong work ethic
- Coachable and able to take training/feedback with a positive approach